Friday, May 2, 2008

"Fart-o"

Amy has pointed out to me that when native Puerto Ricans pronounce the name of the port city of "Fajardo," that it actually sounds an awful lot like "Fart-0". "Fah-hard-o" is the location of the main island port for the ferries to the Puerto Rican islands of Culebra and Vieques.

Shortly before returning to Utah to retrieve Amy and the girls, I took what was supposed to be a short day-trip to the island of Vieques. The main purpose of the trip was to check out one last Van Volki being sold by a guy who works at the island's surf shop. Even surf guys on remote Caribbean islands have figured out that to be truly cool, they must drive a VW van. Surf-guy wanted me to see his van for sale but did not want to go to all the trouble of bringing it to the main island. After experiencing the ferry, I can understand his reluctance.

I'd been warned about the ferry from Fajardo to Vieques being somewhat... um, unreliable? So, I made sure I got to the ferry terminal bright and early. I got in line to buy a ticket about 60 minutes before the scheduled departure and the line NEVER moved. The way things were set up was comically ineffective. One of those things where you just have to laugh and learn and then avoid in the future. Long story short - I missed the morning ferry and had to settle for the afternoon ferry - which turned my day-trip into something more. More on that next.
Here are some pictures I took while walking around Fart-o:




No comments: