Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Let's get this party started!

I recently sold my minority share in Captain Electric (the electrical contracting business in Orem, UT that I helped to build and grow over the past few years) back to the majority partner.

The dangerous (!?) outcome of this transaction has been the luxury (at least for a few months) to try something crazy.

Amy and I are exploring the possibility of moving to Puerto Rico and building a company that represents construction products sold through architectural specification throughout the Caribbean. The first product in our collection would be a concrete polishing system called RetroPlate (http://www.retroplatesystem.com/).

I am reaching out to my friends/colleagues/classmates for three reasons:

1. I’m in Puerto Rico from Feb 26 – Mar 11 to explore business opportunities, search for a place to live, etc. Do you know someone that I should try to meet while I’m here? Know some great hidden beach not to be missed? Let me know!

2. Man (six daughters and wife) cannot live on RetroPlate alone. If you know of other companies or products that would be interested in selling more in the Caribbean – I’d like to hear about them (even if it’s just something that you read about somewhere – no introduction required – just looking for great ideas/products). At the outset, my plan is to rep high-end construction products/systems. But, I’m open to pretty much anything.

3. And finally… life’s too short to spend doing something you dread. I don’t want to be the only crazy guy. I’m reaching out to my network to inspire you to take a risk, to grab a dream and run with it. The outcome of our Caribbean foray is far from certain – but I’m pretty sure we’ll enjoy the ride.

4. OK – a fourth reason. Keep in touch and you’ll have a friend/tour guide in the Caribbean.

If you don’t mind, I’ll try to keep you informed of the progress that we make. This blogging thing is new to me.

5 comments:

Barb said...

Scott,
I'm so excited for you and Amy. I just returned from a 7-day Caribbean cruise and spent most of my time thinking about starting a business in Roatan. Since my life won't currently allow for a new business venture, I'll enjoy hearing all about your's.

I haven't been to Puerto Rico, so I don't have much advice or names of contacts. But, I do know that Roatan students need a way to receive a higher education so that they don't have to leave for the mainland of Honduras. :)

Olson Family said...

Scott,

I guess that answers my question! We own some cards in PR and the Virgin Islands, but I have not been one of the lucky ones that gets to go down there yet. I'll sign off with the username that has a blog so you can seen what's going on if you ever check. :-)

Matt

Moms on a mission said...

How exciting!

I am trying to find a way to do something more exciting myself, but might not yet be ready for a move to PR. Wish I was...I've heard great things! Matt (my fiance) has a client there who seems to know quite a bit. I'll see what I can find out. Good luck and keep posting.

Monica Hintze

tonydupreez said...

man i just wrote this incredibly witty reponse and lost it because it would not post!!!

crux
1) i am jealous - GO FOR IT!!!
2) what products were you thinking - i have some really good connections with chinese importers
3) keep in touch - man i am soooo jealous - i make it as far as Orem nowadays!!!

regards

tony du preez
801.360.6424

scrappindebster said...

That is just way cool! I hope it works out for the family and business. I wish I was doing something fun like that. I need to travel and would love to visit. I'm sure I know someone who does something over there, but it's not coming to me right now. I'll keep in touch.